Inside: Get an easy 4-ingredient recipe for Roasted Carrots With Thyme. This simple side dish is a hit with my kids!
Roasted Carrots With Thyme go great with so many main dishes.
My kids already liked carrots: raw, roasted, sautéed.
But adding thyme transformed them into something brand new.
I got the thyme tip from my sister-in-law, who said something along the lines of, “Trust me, it makes a big difference.”
She was right! These carrots have now become a favorite side dish for our family, and my 14 year old regularly helps himself to seconds.
All you need are four ingredients.
Ingredients for Roasted Carrots With Thyme
- Carrots: You could use baby carrots, but I prefer larger carrots for this side dish. Slice them at an angle for a pretty look.
- Olive oil
- Salt: I like kosher salt for this recipe, because it has bigger, coarser granules. But feel free to use regular table salt.
- Thyme: I use dried, which I always have on hand. You can substitute fresh, you’ll just want to use more (3 teaspoons fresh versus 1 teaspoon dried).
Cut the carrots at an angle, about 1/4-inch thick.
How to Make Roasted Carrots With Thyme
Peel and slice carrots at an angle, I cut them about 1/4-inch thick. I use roughly three cups of sliced carrots for this side dish.
Place on a baking sheet and toss with olive oil, salt, and thyme. You could toss them in a bowl with the oil and seasonings first, but why dirty an extra dish?
Spread out the carrots in a single layer for even roasting.
Spread out the carrots on the baking sheet in a single layer, making sure they’re not overlapping. They’ll roast more evenly that way. Overlapping veggies can end up steaming and not cooking well.
Roast for 20-25 minutes, giving them a stir halfway through. We like them soft but still a tiny bit firm. If you prefer them very soft and browner, keep roasting (and peek at them regularly so they don’t burn).
Roast for about 25 minutes, until soft but still slightly firm.
Questions About Roasted Carrots with Thyme
Can I use baby carrots?
Yes, though you may need to roast them longer to get a soft texture if you cook them whole. You could also slice baby carrots in half lengthwise before cooking, which would look nice.
Can I use fresh thyme instead?
Yes! You’ll want to use more: about three teaspoons fresh instead of one teaspoon dried.
What does thyme taste like?
It’s been described as earthy, minty, and slightly sweet. If it’s an unfamiliar flavor for your kids, use less thyme than the recipe calls for the first time you make them.
Carrots have important nutrients for kids!
Why are carrots good for kids?
Carrots are rich in vitamin A, which plays a part in vision and the immune system. The pigment that makes them orange is also a disease-fighting compound.
What can I serve with roasted carrots?
Roasted carrots with thyme makes a great side dish for just about anything. We eat them as a side for pork chops, chicken, and burgers, but they would also look pretty on a Thanksgiving table.
What are other good veggie recipes for kids?
Roasted Carrots With Thyme
These roasted carrots with thyme make an easy veggie side dish. My kids love them!
- 3 cups peeled carrots, cut at an angle
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Peel and cut carrots at an angle, about 1/4-inch thick.
- Place on baking sheet and toss with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and thyme and toss again. Spread out carrots in a single layer on baking sheet, making sure they don’t overlap.
- Roast for 20-25 minutes, stirring halfway and removing carrots when they’re slightly browned and tender but still firm (roast longer if you want them softer).
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:
Calories: 62Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 332mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 4gSugar: 4gProtein: 1g
Fitnessnacks- #Roasted #Carrots #Thyme #Kids #Love
Courtesy : https://www.realmomnutrition.com/roasted-carrots-with-thyme/