I love ALL versions of lasagna, but some nights I don’t have the time or energy to make the fully layered real deal. On those nights, I make this super quick one-pot skillet lasagna that gives me all that cozy cheesy goodness in just about 30 minutes. Skillet lasagna has been a staple in my house for almost ten years, so I hope it becomes one of your regular go-to recipes, too!
Lasagna for Lazy Nights
This super simple skillet lasagna follows the same formula as my other one pot pasta recipes. The pasta, in this case, lasagna noodles, are cooked right in the sauce so you only need to use one pan and every drop of flavor soaks right into the pasta. I made this recipe as simple as possible, using all the shortcuts, so it’s the easiest to make when you’re the shortest on time.
What You’ll need
Here are the ingredients you’ll need to make this easy skillet lasagna:
- Italian sausage: sausage is packed with herbs and spices which give flavor to the entire skillet without you having to add ten different herbs and spices.
- Fresh garlic: because every recipe needs to start with fresh garlic. 😉
- Pasta sauce: I used a store-bought sauce here just to make the recipe super quick and easy, but you could always make your own from scratch using our weeknight pasta sauce recipe (sub Italian sausage for the beef).
- Italian seasoning: an extra dose of herbs and spices just for good measure! Using a pre-made blend cuts down on the number of ingredients you have to measure.
- Lasagna noodles: because this is “lasagna,” right?? We break the noodles into smaller pieces so they cook quickly and can be easily stirred into the sauce. You can use other pasta shapes if you prefer, but the cooking time may be slightly different.
- Cheese: We used three cheeses in this recipe to make it extra cozy. A mixture of ricotta and Parmesan are added in dollops onto the pasta, then everything is covered in a blanket of melty mozzarella!
What Else Can I Add?
Another reason skillet lasagna is so great is that it’s actually quite versatile! You can add or substitute many of the ingredients to make it your own. Here are some ideas for add-ins or substitutions for the ingredients in skillet lasagna:
- Sautéed vegetables: finely chop then sauté just about any vegetable in the skillet after the beef has been browned. Try zucchini, mushrooms, bell peppers, eggplant, or more. Make sure to cook out most of the water to avoid a soupy lasagna.
- Meat: Add more meat or swap out the Italian sausage for ground beef, pork, or even diced chicken. Just make sure to add additional seasoning to the sauce to make up for what is lost in the Italian sausage.
- Sauce: Experiment with different flavors of store-bought sauces. Make your sauce spicy by adding a pinch or two of crushed red pepper.
- Cheese: try topping your lasagna with some crumbled feta for an extra kick!
What to Serve with Skillet Lasagna
I always love serving heavier dishes like lasagna with a light and simple side salad to brighten up the meal, but you also can’t forget the garlic bread for sopping up every last drop of that sauce!
Skillet Lasagna is a quick and easy weeknight dinner that will give you all the cozy vibes of a classic lasagna in half the time.
Add the Italian sausage and olive oil to a large deep skillet. Cook over medium heat until the sausage is cooked through.
Mince the garlic, add it to the skillet with the sausage, and continue to sauté over medium for one more minute.
Add the pasta sauce, Italian seasoning, and water to the skillet then stir to combine.
Break the lasagna noodles into one to two-inch pieces, then stir them into the sauce in the skillet.
Place a lid on the skillet, turn the heat up to medium-high, and allow the sauce to come up to a boil.
Once boiling, give the skillet a brief stir, replace the lid, then turn the heat down to medium-low. Let the noodles simmer in the sauce, stirring occasionally, until tender (about 15 minutes). If the sauce becomes too dry before the noodles are tender, add more water and continue to simmer.
While the noodles are simmering, stir together the ricotta, Parmesan, salt, and pepper in a separate bowl.
Once the noodles have cooked, add the ricotta mixture on top of the noodles in small dollops. Sprinkle the shredded mozzarella over top.
Place the skillet under your oven’s broiler for a few minutes or just until the cheese is melted and slightly browned (make sure to use an oven-safe skillet, no lid). Or, place the lid on the skillet and continue to cook over medium-low heat until the cheese is melted. Serve hot and enjoy!
See how we calculate recipe costs here.
Serving: 1servingCalories: 722kcalCarbohydrates: 60gProtein: 33gFat: 39gSodium: 1710mgFiber: 5g
Read our full nutrition disclaimer here.
How to Make Skillet Lasagna – Step by Step Photos
Brown ½ lb. Italian sausage in a deep skillet with 1 Tbsp olive oil over medium heat. Once browned, add two cloves of minced garlic and continue to sauté for one minute more.
Add one 24oz. jar of your favorite pasta sauce, ½ tsp Italian seasoning blend, and 1 cup water to the skillet. Stir to combine.
Break nine lasagna noodles (½ lb.) into one to two-inch pieces.
Stir the broken lasagna noodles into the sauce in the skillet. Place a lid on top, turn the heat up to medium-high, and bring the sauce up to a boil. Once boiling, give the skillet a good stir, replace the lid, then turn the heat down to medium-low.
Allow the noodles to simmer in the sauce, stirring occasionally, until they are tender (about 15 minutes). If the sauce gets too thick before the noodles are tender, simply add a little more water and allow them to continue to simmer.
In a medium bowl, combine 1 cup ricotta cheese, ¼ cup grated Parmesan, ¼ tsp salt, and ¼ tsp pepper. Stir until evenly combined.
Add the ricotta mixture to the skillet in dollops across the top, then sprinkle 1 cup shredded mozzarella over top.
To get the cheese nice and melty and browned, place the skillet lasagna under your oven’s broiler for a few minutes (no lid and make sure you’re using an oven safe skillet and watch it closely!). Alternatively, you can place a lid on the skillet and let it cook over medium-low for a few minutes more until the cheese has melted.
Serve hot with some crusty garlic bread for dipping! 🤤 (garnished with parsley, not needed for flavor)
Fitnessnacks- #Skillet #Lasagna #Budget #Bytes
Courtesy : https://www.budgetbytes.com/skillet-lasagna/